Home » Media » Currently Reading:

Hubert Burda: German Media Baron

October 26, 2013 Media No Comments

Hubert Burda Media is a German company that dates back over a hundred years. It began as a three-man printing works in the town of Offenburg in the region of Baden. It was run by Franz Burda, printing and publishing the very first articles of the written press in the era of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Then his son, Senator Franz Burda took over the business. Under his watch classical periodicals were produced. Following the death of his father in 1986, Hubert Burda took over the leadership of the company. Hubert had been working with the company since 1960s.

When he took over the company’s major business comprised 15 periodicals and various printing shops. With hard work and innovation the firm grew and reached a good number of milestones.  Today Hubert Burda Media is one of the largest media group in Germany.  It publishes 300 magazines all over the world. Among its publications is Focus and Bunte in Germany.

His company has also increased its stake to 59 percent in XING AG, the German equivalent of professional social network LinkedIn.  Hubert’s strategy is to compete with Google, Apple, and Amazon instead of other German media groups.

As he once took over the company he now heads Hubert is preparing for the day when one of his children will take over. In 2011 he transferred 40 percent of the company to his two children while retaining the remaining 60 percent.

Ted Turner: Media Magnate
Yvonne Bauer: Taking Charge

Comment on this Article: